Thursday, November 10, 2011

PHILIP GLASS - KOYAANISQATSI OST





Track 1 - Koyaanisqatsi
Track 2 - Organic
Track 3 - Cloudscape
Track 4 - Resource
Track 5 - Vessels
Track 6 - Pruit Igoe
Track 7 - The Grid
Track 8 - Prophecies

It might be a world away from being funky but "Koyaanisqatsi" is not only one of my favourite films of all time but one of my favourite soundtracks aswell. The Philip Glass score is strident and restrained, peaceful and chaotic in equal measures. If you haven't heard of the film before it is a 1983 documentary which uses time lapse and slow motion imagery to highlight humanity's impact on the planet. It truly is a powerful and sometimes misunderstood piece of cinema that has counterparts in the likes of "Baraka" ( featuring Koyaanisqatsi cinematographer Ron Fricke ) and "Microcosmos". The soundtrack, with it's hypnotic, repetitive tones is certainly an acquired taste but it has proven to be very popular over the years with Glass even touring with an ensemble and playing the score live in front of screenings.

2 comments:

The End of History said...

One of the greatest performances I ever saw in my life and I'm lucky enough to live in New York City, was the live performance of the Philip Glass orchestra at the Metropolitan Opera House sometime back in the early 90s. He performed the entire score with a huge orchestra while the movie was projected onto the giant stage of the opera house. We were in one of the boxes and I can tell you the the experience was like riding a rollercoaster through the movie and the music. I would go as far as to say it was one of the highlights of my many years of concert going in New York and I've seen everyone from Frank Sinatra to Antonio Carlos Jobim live here multiple times!

Mr. Craig said...

Wow, that sounds amazing! I'm sure Philip would be happy to know he's beaten out Ol' Blue Eyes.